Whether you have sensitive skin or simply prefer all-natural deodorant and antiperspirant, there are alternatives to commercially made products. Some people theorize that some of the chemicals and metals in commercial deodorants are harmful but that is yet to have been proven. However, what has been proven is that sensitive skinned people experience great results when they use homemade deodorant. It is also works well to keep you smelling good, is super cost effective, and, heck! It’s fun! Here are a few different ways to make your own deodorant and antiperspirant at home:
Basic homemade deodorant
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 6 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Essential oil of choice
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Step 1. Mix baking soda and cornstarch in a bowl.
- Step 2. Add somewhere between 10 and 20 drops of your preferred essential oil.
- Step 3. Add coconut oil.
- Step 4. Pack the mix into an old deodorant container and there you have it!
Shea butter deodorant
- 2 tablespoons of shea butter
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda
- Essential oils of choice
- Step 1. Melt shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler over medium heat. Heat it until it is just barely melted, like candle wax consistency.
- Step 2. Remove the double boiler from the heat.
- Step 2. Add baking soda. Mix well.
- Step 3. Add essential oils. About 10 or 15 drops should suffice.
- Step 4. Press it into an old deodorant container.
Coconut oil deodorant
- ¼ cup baking soda
- ¼ cup arrowroot
- 6 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Step 1. Mix baking soda and cup arrowroot in a bowl.
- Step 2. Mash in coconut oil.
- Step 3. Add preferred essential oils.
- Step 4.Pack into an old deodorant stick.
- 1 cup of shea butter
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup of baking soda
- ½ cup of cornstarch
- Essential oil of choice
- Step 1. Melt cup shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler.
- Step 2. Remove from heat
- Step 3. Let cool for 30 minutes
- Step 4. Add essential oils as desired
- Step 5. Place oil mixture in freezer for 20 minutes
- Step 6. When the oils are somewhat solid, whip them up with a mixer or blender. They will be ready when they are combined to make a pretty white whipped concoction that almost resembles whipped cream, but does not taste like it
- Step 7. Stir in baking soda and cornstarch
- Step 8. Throw the mixture into a deodorant container and call it a day
Antiperspirant with cocoa
- 4 tablespoons of aluminum-free baking powder
- ¾ cup arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Step 1. Combine aluminum-free baking powder & arrowroot powder in a glass bowl.
- Step 2. Melt coconut oil over a double boiler.
- Step 3. Pour melted oil into dry ingredient bowl
- Step 4. Blend well.
- Sep 5. Press down into an old deodorant container.
Whichever you choose, you will find that these deodorants and antiperspirants work quite well and are not hard to make. It takes about an hour from beginning to end for the most complicated types. But, some of them could be done in under 10 minutes. Enjoy!